Tipping
So, this morning I'm watching Fox 25 news like I do every morning while getting dressed for work. They have a portion of the show called, "Let It Rip". Todays topic was tipping at restaurants. They were talking about how a lot of restaurants automatically put the tip on the bill and how some times the waiter/ess has to share their tips with the bus-boy...how 20% is standard, etc. Also, did you know that you don't have to tip on the liquor portion of your bill? That's news to me, too.... I may have to research that. I guess I'll call up the person that pulls all the other dumb rules out his/ her ass and ask what the truth is! (((rolling my eyes)) Anyway, I straddel the fence when it comes to the tipping debate....
My thoughts are this: When I go to a restaurant the waiter automatically starts with a 20% tip. Based on the service the tip can remain at 20% or fall to 0%...it's up to the waiter. I'm not the type to blame the waiter for my food being nasty and things like that, but I do hold the waiter responsible for his/ her attitude and behavior. One thing I base my tip on is promptness. If I ask for bacon on my salad and I have to wait 10 minutes to get it I have a problem with that. And, anyone that knows me knows that I am not above telling a waiter what I deem is wrong with his/ her service or the restaurant for that matter. For example, I recently went to P.F. Changs (Word to the wise: Never eat there! The food is horrendous!) Anyway, the meal was nasty and the waitress was average. In my mind she was only getting a 10% tip. Her attitude was pleasent, but her service was second-rate. At one point during the meal I asked her to bring me more sauce...easy enough, right? WRONG! 5 minutes pass and I look up and she's standing by the bar running her mouth with my sauce sitting on the tray next to her. So, I walk over tap her on the shoulder and politely ask is there a reason why I haven't recieved the sauce she clearly has sitting in front of her. Of course, she stammered out an apology, but whatever. So, at the end of the meal she asks us was the meal okay and I tell her that I'm glad she asked because as a matter of fact the food was horrible! She politely said...Sorry to hear that. I'll take it off your bill. Due to her act of kindness (because she didn't have to do that) her tip went up 5% :) Don't say, why not the full 20%! Remember she was the same chick that left my sauce sitting on a tray while she bumped her gums!!!!!!
Another thing I base my tip on is the waitresses abilty to deal under pressure. I know that may seem mean, but I didn't tell them to pick that profession. Whatever the attitude of the patrons, the waiter should be able to rise above and offer the best service they can.
But, the question of the day is....Why do waiters get paid below minimum wage??? If someone can answer that question I'll give them a dollar! I mean, we shell out $50 a meal and sometimes more and the restaurant can't afford to pay these people adequate salaries. It's a racket I tell you. Therefore, I refuse to feed into the whole tipping hoopla. So, from now on I am going to start cooking!!!!! Ok, ok, I'm just playing, so stop laughing. But, I am going to at least learn how to cook, so that I can keep my 20% to myself!!!
My thoughts are this: When I go to a restaurant the waiter automatically starts with a 20% tip. Based on the service the tip can remain at 20% or fall to 0%...it's up to the waiter. I'm not the type to blame the waiter for my food being nasty and things like that, but I do hold the waiter responsible for his/ her attitude and behavior. One thing I base my tip on is promptness. If I ask for bacon on my salad and I have to wait 10 minutes to get it I have a problem with that. And, anyone that knows me knows that I am not above telling a waiter what I deem is wrong with his/ her service or the restaurant for that matter. For example, I recently went to P.F. Changs (Word to the wise: Never eat there! The food is horrendous!) Anyway, the meal was nasty and the waitress was average. In my mind she was only getting a 10% tip. Her attitude was pleasent, but her service was second-rate. At one point during the meal I asked her to bring me more sauce...easy enough, right? WRONG! 5 minutes pass and I look up and she's standing by the bar running her mouth with my sauce sitting on the tray next to her. So, I walk over tap her on the shoulder and politely ask is there a reason why I haven't recieved the sauce she clearly has sitting in front of her. Of course, she stammered out an apology, but whatever. So, at the end of the meal she asks us was the meal okay and I tell her that I'm glad she asked because as a matter of fact the food was horrible! She politely said...Sorry to hear that. I'll take it off your bill. Due to her act of kindness (because she didn't have to do that) her tip went up 5% :) Don't say, why not the full 20%! Remember she was the same chick that left my sauce sitting on a tray while she bumped her gums!!!!!!
Another thing I base my tip on is the waitresses abilty to deal under pressure. I know that may seem mean, but I didn't tell them to pick that profession. Whatever the attitude of the patrons, the waiter should be able to rise above and offer the best service they can.
But, the question of the day is....Why do waiters get paid below minimum wage??? If someone can answer that question I'll give them a dollar! I mean, we shell out $50 a meal and sometimes more and the restaurant can't afford to pay these people adequate salaries. It's a racket I tell you. Therefore, I refuse to feed into the whole tipping hoopla. So, from now on I am going to start cooking!!!!! Ok, ok, I'm just playing, so stop laughing. But, I am going to at least learn how to cook, so that I can keep my 20% to myself!!!

1 Comments:
I always tip 25 percent regardless of service. I do not eat out a lot so overtipping when I do...doesn't bother me. I'm biased though...if my waitress is very cute...I push it to 30 percent or sometimes a little bit more!
Post a Comment
<< Home