First Friday's
Last night was the monthly First Friday party at this club called Whiskey Park. Well, its not actually a club...it's a big bougie lounge in the Park Plaza Hotel. Regardless, I had a good time.
See, I like going to First Fridays, Friendly Takeovers (that's when all the black people go to an otherwise white club, bowling alley, lounge or whatever and takeover in a friendly way) and DT Lounges (DT stands for Down Time. DT is a networking vehicle that brings black professionals together through what they call lounges...a party at a different location every month on a Thursday). As I was saying, I enjoy these functions because its a chance for me to see all these beautiful educated people together looking good, smelling good and mingling.
Last night was the same thing...Of course I came out with my A game, but that shouldn't be a surprise...
The night started while I was at home getting dressed bumping Mary J, drinking wine and dancing. Yeah, I dance around the house in my panty hose and underwear in front of the mirror. I feel free when I do that. A good night always has to start at home. It creates your aura for the night...My boy Shimmy came and scooped me and we rushed to the party because it was free before 10...we made it right at 10!!! I hate paying for anything in Boston and I usually don't. It's a toss up on how the night will go, so I can't be shelling out dough for a wack time....usually it's wack...LOL!
As I was checking my coat my girl Flint ran through the door trying to beat the clock. I'll refer to her as that because she's from Flint, Michigan. I've known Flint since I've been here. We work together, we're sorors and she's my mentor. Me, her and her jazzy friend made a B-line to the bar. Imagine my delight when I noticed Mojitos on the menu...whooo-hooo! I ordered one and told the chick to open a tab. She told me she couldn't unless it was a credit card. WTF! I had my debit card with the visa logo...isnt that good enough? Oh well, I paid for the $12 drink and bounced. I'm glad I didn't open a tab because I didn't need to. I didn't have to pay for another drink that night and I had 3 more. I love nights like those.
***Highlights and observations of the night***
There was this Cutie there that I scoped out 2 months ago at a DT Lounge, but I was only introduced to him. I'm too cool to be approaching men...that's not the order of things in the universe. I know this is the new Millenium, yada, yada, yada...but, I'm old fashioned. I want to be asked about, approached, courted. I want him to want me because I stopped him in his tracks, because he couldn't take his eyes off me and not because I threw myself at him and he had no choice but to notice I am a pretty person or good person. I'm worth it, dammit! So, I saw cutie last night. Cute is an understatement...brothaman is sexy, cramel complexion, nice body, full beard...damn! I'll call him Kraft, that's who he works for. Toward the end of the night I was sitting down and people were standing around me and he reached through them for my hand to pull me up and he asked me to dance. Come to find out he had been checking for me since last month and even asked my boy who introduced us about me and he told him I was taken. Which I was at the time. Me and my ex just broke up a few weeks ago. I's is free now!!!!! Kraft and I chit-chatted and come to find out we know a lot of the same people. Boston is too small, but what can I do about it. He invited me to lunch today, but I think I'll decline and ask to reschedule for tommorrow. I have too much to do today. ;)
I was standing in la la land and I observed this girl picking up this candle and looking at it. Then she starts banging it on the table. So, me and this guy look at each other and start laughing with that "this bitch is crazy", nod. So, she's banging and banging and the candle broke. WTF?! We all break out laughing and this guy asks her, "What the hell possessed you to do that?". She dropped her gum in the candle and wanted to get it out.LOL!!!!!!!! I just looked at her and shook my head...idiot!
There is this girl I met in Feburary at my boy's 30th birthday party, the same guy who introduced me to Kraft. Let's call her Youth. I know that's a crazy name to give someone, but she's 37 and she looks like she's 27...for real. When she told me her age I asked for ID. Anyway, we met because she stopped me to tell me how pretty I was and that my make-up was flawless. Yes, not all women are haters...Thank God! So, everytime I see her out we talk and laugh. So, I see her last night and its the same thing. She calls me her new bestfriend...LOL! Anyway, we posted up and talked and laughed and introduced each other to the people we knew. As the night went on I noticed that she would cock block me. I would be talking to a guy...he didn't have to be cute or anything and she would walk up introduce herself and start her own conversation. Now, it didn't bother me because I'm not insecure and my self esteem is fairly high, but I noticed it and I actually chuckled. One time she came up, inserted herself into a conversation and told him that we were going to walk around then we walked off she said that she just told him that so he would leave me alone...WTF! I'm like this chick is throwing mixed vibes...is she a man stealer or does she like me?! LOL!!! I know a few people she has dealt with, so she's not gay...I wonder what her thing is...I'll find out. My boy Shimmy invited her to his party tonight, so I'll see her tonight.
Another time I was standing and this girl was backing up on me. I put my hand at the small of her back to tell her don't go too far. It wasn't in a confrontational way. I wasn't even looking at her when I did it. It's automatic. It was in a hey my feet hurt and I don't need you stepping on them way. So, she turns around and says that she was backing up because she didn't want to be in they're way (my boy Tre and some girl). So, I said that I understood, but just be careful. She turns back around and gets all amped and starts barking like she was telling me something. I didn't even acknowledge her I tapped Tre and said, "Get ya girl before I do." and I gave her one of those over the shoulder thumb points like she was nothing. That sent her through the roof...LOL! She's yapping...he don't have to get me, blah, blah, blah. Tre immediately grabbed her and hugged her because he knows that one wrong word and it would have been some drama. Right at that instance my girl Pfizer and her girls walked over. I breezed past the bean pole that was still amped, hugged my girl and left that bitch pissed...it was too funny. Afterward, my boy L comes over and tells me that I'm funny...LOL! I'm not funny. I just wanted to give her the opportunity to calm down before she got herself in some trouble. Clearly she never had a beat down before because she was too Rah, Rah over nothing. I'm not big bad wolf. Hell, I'm not even big, but I do have a temper. I don't mess with people or start shit, but I will engage in some shit if provoked. I was giving her ass the opportunity to walk it off...I walked it off instead...See, I'm growing...
After the club, Shimmy and I went to this 24 hour dinner to grab a bite to eat. We had the liquor munchies. So, there are these guys in there waiting on a take out order. Shimmy and I are sitting at the counter, so we are right at the door and we can see all the food prepared. The guys are standing right behind us looking at the same thing. So, for about 20 minutes they are complaining loudly. Mind you, the dinner is small and its packed and there is a line outside at 3 in the morning. The cooks and waitresses are working their asses off...I'm watching. So, he finally gets his food and calls the waitress a dumb broad. So, I turn around and say damn you must really be hungry to be that pissed. He said yeah I've been waiting for a long time. I ask him was it necessary to call her a broad? She can only bring the food out as fast as its cooked. He says, I didn't call her what I want to call her because I don't disrespect women. This dude is clueless. So I say, that is disrespectful. Would you like someone to call your mother a broad? Then he gets flustered and tells me I just need to turn around and enjoy my date. I tell him that it's not a date, but I will turn around and enjoy my food, good night. He left embarrased. I know he was embarrassed because he didn't even get mad and he started talking all soft when at first he was loud and obnoxious. The waitress thanked me because she was embarassed and she didn't know how to handle him. I was embarrassed f0r him. He was a black dude, well dressed, handsome and ignorant. I always take the opportunity to correct a man and his approach or disrespect of women. More often than not, the man is apologetic or embarrased by his behavior. Shimmy told me that when I mentioned his mother that the dude said under his breath that she was at home. I wish I would have heard him because I would have said, "Let's call the broad on the phone." That would have pissed him off and drove my point home....Damn! Missed opportunity...but, I think I proved my point.
All in all, it was good night....
See, I like going to First Fridays, Friendly Takeovers (that's when all the black people go to an otherwise white club, bowling alley, lounge or whatever and takeover in a friendly way) and DT Lounges (DT stands for Down Time. DT is a networking vehicle that brings black professionals together through what they call lounges...a party at a different location every month on a Thursday). As I was saying, I enjoy these functions because its a chance for me to see all these beautiful educated people together looking good, smelling good and mingling.
Last night was the same thing...Of course I came out with my A game, but that shouldn't be a surprise...
The night started while I was at home getting dressed bumping Mary J, drinking wine and dancing. Yeah, I dance around the house in my panty hose and underwear in front of the mirror. I feel free when I do that. A good night always has to start at home. It creates your aura for the night...My boy Shimmy came and scooped me and we rushed to the party because it was free before 10...we made it right at 10!!! I hate paying for anything in Boston and I usually don't. It's a toss up on how the night will go, so I can't be shelling out dough for a wack time....usually it's wack...LOL!
As I was checking my coat my girl Flint ran through the door trying to beat the clock. I'll refer to her as that because she's from Flint, Michigan. I've known Flint since I've been here. We work together, we're sorors and she's my mentor. Me, her and her jazzy friend made a B-line to the bar. Imagine my delight when I noticed Mojitos on the menu...whooo-hooo! I ordered one and told the chick to open a tab. She told me she couldn't unless it was a credit card. WTF! I had my debit card with the visa logo...isnt that good enough? Oh well, I paid for the $12 drink and bounced. I'm glad I didn't open a tab because I didn't need to. I didn't have to pay for another drink that night and I had 3 more. I love nights like those.
***Highlights and observations of the night***
There was this Cutie there that I scoped out 2 months ago at a DT Lounge, but I was only introduced to him. I'm too cool to be approaching men...that's not the order of things in the universe. I know this is the new Millenium, yada, yada, yada...but, I'm old fashioned. I want to be asked about, approached, courted. I want him to want me because I stopped him in his tracks, because he couldn't take his eyes off me and not because I threw myself at him and he had no choice but to notice I am a pretty person or good person. I'm worth it, dammit! So, I saw cutie last night. Cute is an understatement...brothaman is sexy, cramel complexion, nice body, full beard...damn! I'll call him Kraft, that's who he works for. Toward the end of the night I was sitting down and people were standing around me and he reached through them for my hand to pull me up and he asked me to dance. Come to find out he had been checking for me since last month and even asked my boy who introduced us about me and he told him I was taken. Which I was at the time. Me and my ex just broke up a few weeks ago. I's is free now!!!!! Kraft and I chit-chatted and come to find out we know a lot of the same people. Boston is too small, but what can I do about it. He invited me to lunch today, but I think I'll decline and ask to reschedule for tommorrow. I have too much to do today. ;)
I was standing in la la land and I observed this girl picking up this candle and looking at it. Then she starts banging it on the table. So, me and this guy look at each other and start laughing with that "this bitch is crazy", nod. So, she's banging and banging and the candle broke. WTF?! We all break out laughing and this guy asks her, "What the hell possessed you to do that?". She dropped her gum in the candle and wanted to get it out.LOL!!!!!!!! I just looked at her and shook my head...idiot!
There is this girl I met in Feburary at my boy's 30th birthday party, the same guy who introduced me to Kraft. Let's call her Youth. I know that's a crazy name to give someone, but she's 37 and she looks like she's 27...for real. When she told me her age I asked for ID. Anyway, we met because she stopped me to tell me how pretty I was and that my make-up was flawless. Yes, not all women are haters...Thank God! So, everytime I see her out we talk and laugh. So, I see her last night and its the same thing. She calls me her new bestfriend...LOL! Anyway, we posted up and talked and laughed and introduced each other to the people we knew. As the night went on I noticed that she would cock block me. I would be talking to a guy...he didn't have to be cute or anything and she would walk up introduce herself and start her own conversation. Now, it didn't bother me because I'm not insecure and my self esteem is fairly high, but I noticed it and I actually chuckled. One time she came up, inserted herself into a conversation and told him that we were going to walk around then we walked off she said that she just told him that so he would leave me alone...WTF! I'm like this chick is throwing mixed vibes...is she a man stealer or does she like me?! LOL!!! I know a few people she has dealt with, so she's not gay...I wonder what her thing is...I'll find out. My boy Shimmy invited her to his party tonight, so I'll see her tonight.
Another time I was standing and this girl was backing up on me. I put my hand at the small of her back to tell her don't go too far. It wasn't in a confrontational way. I wasn't even looking at her when I did it. It's automatic. It was in a hey my feet hurt and I don't need you stepping on them way. So, she turns around and says that she was backing up because she didn't want to be in they're way (my boy Tre and some girl). So, I said that I understood, but just be careful. She turns back around and gets all amped and starts barking like she was telling me something. I didn't even acknowledge her I tapped Tre and said, "Get ya girl before I do." and I gave her one of those over the shoulder thumb points like she was nothing. That sent her through the roof...LOL! She's yapping...he don't have to get me, blah, blah, blah. Tre immediately grabbed her and hugged her because he knows that one wrong word and it would have been some drama. Right at that instance my girl Pfizer and her girls walked over. I breezed past the bean pole that was still amped, hugged my girl and left that bitch pissed...it was too funny. Afterward, my boy L comes over and tells me that I'm funny...LOL! I'm not funny. I just wanted to give her the opportunity to calm down before she got herself in some trouble. Clearly she never had a beat down before because she was too Rah, Rah over nothing. I'm not big bad wolf. Hell, I'm not even big, but I do have a temper. I don't mess with people or start shit, but I will engage in some shit if provoked. I was giving her ass the opportunity to walk it off...I walked it off instead...See, I'm growing...
After the club, Shimmy and I went to this 24 hour dinner to grab a bite to eat. We had the liquor munchies. So, there are these guys in there waiting on a take out order. Shimmy and I are sitting at the counter, so we are right at the door and we can see all the food prepared. The guys are standing right behind us looking at the same thing. So, for about 20 minutes they are complaining loudly. Mind you, the dinner is small and its packed and there is a line outside at 3 in the morning. The cooks and waitresses are working their asses off...I'm watching. So, he finally gets his food and calls the waitress a dumb broad. So, I turn around and say damn you must really be hungry to be that pissed. He said yeah I've been waiting for a long time. I ask him was it necessary to call her a broad? She can only bring the food out as fast as its cooked. He says, I didn't call her what I want to call her because I don't disrespect women. This dude is clueless. So I say, that is disrespectful. Would you like someone to call your mother a broad? Then he gets flustered and tells me I just need to turn around and enjoy my date. I tell him that it's not a date, but I will turn around and enjoy my food, good night. He left embarrased. I know he was embarrassed because he didn't even get mad and he started talking all soft when at first he was loud and obnoxious. The waitress thanked me because she was embarassed and she didn't know how to handle him. I was embarrassed f0r him. He was a black dude, well dressed, handsome and ignorant. I always take the opportunity to correct a man and his approach or disrespect of women. More often than not, the man is apologetic or embarrased by his behavior. Shimmy told me that when I mentioned his mother that the dude said under his breath that she was at home. I wish I would have heard him because I would have said, "Let's call the broad on the phone." That would have pissed him off and drove my point home....Damn! Missed opportunity...but, I think I proved my point.
All in all, it was good night....

5 Comments:
Nah, I called him on Sunday and asked for a rain check. I had too much to do Sunday in preparation for my trip to Miami...I haven't spoken to him since. We'll see...
I thought First Fridays was @ The Hyatt Regency which the after party for the R Kelly show...............well sounds like you had fun...I ended up going to hte First Fridays in Brockton and had MAD fun!@!!!!!!!!!FOr my birthday, we decided to go out..so you gotta come then@!@!!
Girl, you know there be 2 First Friday's. There was the one at the Hyatt and then the one at Whiskey Park thrown by "First Friday's United". My boy Sekou is part of the group that throws it, so I'm always where ever his party is.
I just read your blog and it sounds like YOU had BIG FUN!!! I can't believe there is enough people of color in Boston to pack 2 places...LOL!!!!
Let me know when and where and I'm down...
HMPH I was told I can't go to the Roxy's on my birthday cuz 1 person doenst wanna pay $20 to get in....but its my birthday!!!!!I odnt wanna go to slades.......dinner is @ Smokey BOnes in Randolph
When is your b-day? And, when are you having the dinner? I'll email you...
Post a Comment
<< Home