Thursday, September 14, 2006

AIDS: Wouldn't U Want To Know?

****News Flash***News Flash****News Flash****News Flash****

This just in: Bobby and Whitney are getting a divorce!

About Damn Time! She will never be able to get it together while hanging up under his foolish ass. Although, I must admit that I thought they would last forever. Some people are happy in their disfunction. I guess she decided Enough Is Enough! Good for her.

***Back to the regularly scheduled programming***

AIDS:

My"Friend" (after reading Missy's post I decided that perhaps I should hide the identity) is in the process of evaluating different investment options. One being Whole Life Insurance. Well, as we all know...one criteria for getting any form of Life Insurance is an AIDS test. Do you know she had the nerve to tell the Agent that if she has to take the test she'll rather forgo getting the insurance. WTF! I couldn't make this shit up if I tried. I was sitting right there.

So, after she hung up the phone with him, her and I embarked on a conversation about the deadly disease and her philosophy. First, let me preface this by saying she has NEVER had an AID's test. According her, she'd be much happier just keeling over and dying then to walk around miserable knowing that she has AIDs or HIV. She feels like if she stays prayerful God will protect her. I didn't even ask her if she consistently practiced safe sex at this stage of her sex life. I was too taken aback by the ignorance of her beliefs. To be honest, if she still out here having sex unprotected and unwilling to get tested isn't that against the law or something? LOL!
Don't get me wrong. When I was a young adult...20-21...I felt like she did. I was ignorant and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I was also scared. Like her, I was getting insurance that my mother is paying for and I had to have the mouth swab. I took it and found out I was clean. But, at that time I told myself that if the test came back positive I would just be come a world activist. Not shying away from the disease, but embracing it and educating others. I still feel that way.

After the intial unplanned AIDs test I still didn't get one every year. It wasn't until I was 25 (same age my roommate currently is) and I realized how ignorant it was to hold those beliefs, but still have unprotected sex. That's when I started getting tested every year. I'm negative. Thank God. I had my last test in March 2006 and I feel good knowing that I'm healthy in all aspects.

I tried to convince her to get tested even if it's just for the piece of mind. There have been many advances in medicine to where a person could live a long and healthy life. I mean, don't we have an obligation to society to get tested and to protect one another? And, if we know that we haven't ever been tested or we know that the test is postive, don't we have an obligation to wear condoms? I'm no angel. I've slipped and had unprotected sex before. I'm human. The difference is that I don't have two worries...Did I infect them or did they infect me? I take responsiblity for my bad decisions and 6 months after the slip I'm heading to the doctor to get tested again. Life is too precious to take for granted. We cry over our friends, relatives and even strangers dying. Yet, we act so carelessly with our own lives. Why is that?

Tell me what you think...

Smooches :)

16 Comments:

Blogger NegroPino™ said...

WOW. I cant even believe that. She seemed like she had her shit together and was a smart girl. I don't even know what to say i guess but to be there for her and hope and pray she does the right thing.

September 14, 2006 8:14 AM  
Blogger Ming Houser, Realtor said...

In many aspects she does have her shit together. And, I'm not trying to put her on blast for those of you that have had the opportunity to meet her. But, this struck a nerve last night when she told the insurance agent that she wouldn't take the test...That was another level of ignorance.

But, I wasn't entirely surprised. I know a few people that feel that way, to be honest. She just doesn't have any shame in saying it...LOL!

September 14, 2006 8:19 AM  
Blogger Ming Houser, Realtor said...

I think I'll hide her relationship to me. I don't want people to get preconcieved notions about her. That's not the purpose of the post.

September 14, 2006 8:55 AM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

I think people like to live in denial. They think it can't happen to them which is completely ridiculous. I know alot of people like that.

September 14, 2006 10:16 AM  
Blogger Nika Laqui said...

I beleive in HEALTH first and foremost, because your health affects all other aspects of your life, your mental, your spiritual and of course your physical.

Yes when I was 18, I didn't want to know ..but like you said, you grow out of that ignorance...

I get tested every 6 months if not every year....I have to know!
And yes it is a crime to knowingly affect people with AIDS, its considered murder....

But in her case, she doesn't know...but still, she should KNOW, and she's making me believe she is just by how she's acting....

September 14, 2006 10:21 AM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

Being prayerful is not enough. You need to protect yourself. God helps those who help themselves. Hopefully you can talk some sense into her. At least about safe sex.

September 14, 2006 12:10 PM  
Blogger NegroPino™ said...

Does she know she u have a blog?

September 14, 2006 2:32 PM  
Blogger Ming Houser, Realtor said...

T: She wasn't the first person. I was just surprised that she is willing to forego some stability in her financial future because she's scared.

Nsane: I never thought about it like that....LOL!

JJ: I intend on bringing back up tactfully.

Missy: Yeah, but not the address. That's not the issue though. As I was thinking about it I don't want people to look at her all weird if they see her again... I jsut wanted to see if there were other people out there that agreed with her thought process or could lend some clarity to the situation

September 14, 2006 2:55 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

Shoulda Slapped her unconcious, Took her to the clinic, let them swab her gums, throw water on her face to wake her dumb ass up and say" See that wasn't so bad now was it."

September 14, 2006 3:28 PM  
Blogger Ming Houser, Realtor said...

Slish: I almost choked when I read that... Nut! But,I bet that would work...

Robert: I saw those ads on the bus when i was just in Chicago with Common's fine ass! I digress.

September 14, 2006 4:39 PM  
Blogger Nika Laqui said...

Rob, why would a man ask you?

*lol*

That sounds a little suspect...*lol*

Just kiddin, but forreal, why would a potential man ask you about your status?

September 14, 2006 6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AIDS aint no joke...AND 70% of BLACK women are diagnosed with AIDS....damn damn shame!

September 14, 2006 11:14 PM  
Blogger Mahogany Misfit said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

September 15, 2006 1:29 AM  
Blogger Mahogany Misfit said...

I can see both sides of the argument. Not wanting to know and not understanding WHY you wouldn't want to know.

Women are the majority of the victims for several reasons...but one thing people should know is that straight women are far more at risk than straight, non-bisexual men. It is rare for a man to get HIV from a woman from vaginal sex. Not impossible mind you, but rare. Especially if he's circumsized. Uncircumsized men are most at risk during vaginal sex.

According to This Website

"Vaginal sex can transmit HIV to either the male or the female partner, but numerous studies in developed countries have shown that in the absence of other risk factors (like STDs) men are two to three times more likely to transmit HIV to women than vice versa. The area susceptible to infection is much larger in women (vagina, cervix and uterus) than in men (head of the penis, exposed urethra). Women are exposed to a larger quantity of infectious fluid (ejaculate) than men (vaginal fluids). Vaginal fluids contain less HIV on the average than semen . And women retain the secretions within the body after sex while men are only exposed during the actual sex act."

Lesbianism is looking better and better isn't it ladies?

If only I could break this dick habit of mine.

September 15, 2006 1:30 AM  
Blogger NegroPino™ said...

I know thats right Mistress Here HEre....

September 15, 2006 8:52 AM  
Blogger Chronicles Of The Sexy Fat Chick said...

Thats FREAK INSANE. A very close person to me has HIV they are quite young and this person does certain things I don't agree with. I mean me personally would tell ppl that I'm with but thisperson does not. Safe sex is practiced, but its still fucked up not to tell the person the risk. I love this person to death but it is very hard to deal with sometimes. I encourgae all of u to GET TESTED.

September 15, 2006 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

designed by finalsense.com