Breathe...
That's what I finally feel like I'm able to do. I had to take a week to regroup after returning from Baltimore only to be on my way to ATL tuesday for 5 days. This will be a long post, so bare with me.
Baltimore
I had a really good time! I can't even front. We stayed in Glen Burnie, but partied at the Harbor. For those of you that live or have lived in Baltimore we went to The Garden of Eden and this club inside of The Belvedere Hotel. I got to eat some of the Maryland crabcakes that people brag about. They taste like any other crab cakes to me. LOL!
I must admit the Inner Harbor is a really nice area. The architecture of the buildings really impressed me. I met up with my girl Dora down there and we had lunch on Saturday while Dentist was at his seminar. Everyone was so nice. Being from Chicago and now living in Boston I'm not used to that. For example, I asked the waitress to point out the bathroom. Instead she decided to walk me all the way there. For a minute I thought she was going to grab my hand or something. The host was this flaming gay man that acted like he was part owner of the restuarant. Like his life depended on warmly greeting us and walking us to the table. I was very taken aback by the hospitality.
Don't get that experience twisted with what I saw in the hood. My boy took me to this hood joint to get some Lake Trout. Now, I'm from the Southside of Chicago. So, I've seen my share of crack heads, drug dealers and stick-up men. Nothing could have prepared me for this. Every other building was abandoned. I can't quite get with these buildings with 3 steps, a rail on one side and a platform for a porch. I think that's what got me the most. We get out the truck and instinctively I clutch my purse and start sizing *Africans* up. Dentist was laughing at me. Shhhiiitttteeedddd. He could laugh all he wanted to. I know my hood. I know what them *Africans* will or won't do and how they might try it, but this was unchartered territory. This one crackhead was standing by the door sizing me up, too. I could hear his mind thinking, "How can I snatch this bitch purse and get out the door before this Linebacker looking nigga gets a hold of me?" LOL! I guess he didn't figure it out because he stayed put.
Needless to say, it's a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there.
Back to Reality
From the moment I stepped off the plane I was busy. We are bringing a new product to market and I'm heading up all the market research for the market, product, competitors, technology, etc. Call me the resident know-it-all on the subject. So, this week was a week of meetings with me presenting my findings to the VP of Consumer Products, the VP of our entire division of the company, my boss, the Product Manager and I also had a few meeting with the Doctors that are engineering the technology. Not to mention, I'm on a team of people that is trying to change some paradigms in the company. We have developed and are now entering the implementation stage of a company wide program that will change the way my company addresses certain issues. I know I'm being real vague, but hey...this is the internet... Anyway. As with any cross-functional team I'm on I end up being the Marketing/Communication go to person. So, I'm trying to wrap up some loose ends in that area. Then my boss comes to me and tells me that I'll be going to DC October 13th for the weekend to work at a tradeshow for Environmentally friendly products. That wasn't all bad news since that IS the weekend of Howard's Homecoming. I only have to work the booth that Sunday, so that gives me Friday and Saturday to myself to enjoy the festivities.
So, I get up Thursday morning at 5 to be in the office at 6 to make sure I have everything ready for the 3 hour meeting. Yes. 3. Fucking. Hours! I swear Corporate America meets to meet to meet! I woke up that morning with a full blown cold...achy, stuff head, stuffy but running nose. I was tired, I felt tired, I looked tired. After work I went to the hair salon for my bi-weekly appointment. Check this out.
As I'm pulling into the parking spot this guy comes and stands in it. It didn't register what he was doing so, I say, "Excuse me". This *African* had the nerve to tell me that I couldn't have the parking spot because his girl was coming around the block to get it. WTF! So, I continue to pull in. Of course, he stands there daring me to hit him and then turns his back on my car. So, I'm yelling all kind of obscentites and trafffic is starting to line up behind me. It's a one lane street on my side and half my car is in the spot and the other half is blocking traffic. So, I sit there. This white guy in back of me gets out and tells him to move. The ignant azz *African* is glaring at me and weighing his options.
Option 1: We sit there all day and the people in the cars lynch his ass. Ain't nowhere in this world is that right what he was doing unless she was backing into the spot and I swooped on her and took it. In this case. She was coming back around the block on Huntington at Mass Ave...for you Bostonians. Parking spaces are a dime a dozen and I wasn't budging. Hell, I was already late for my hair appointment! Plus, no cars were able to pass me. She would never make it around the block because our standoff had traffic backed up.
Option 2: Move his dumb ass out the way!
He took option 2 while he rolled his eyes at me. I parked my car and called the police in case this got ugly. I was having one of those bad days that made me wish a Nigga would pull it. While I'm talking to the police and he's still waiting on his girl to come around he throws juice on my car. LOL! I laughed, literally and told him thanks my car needed that...You know that pissed him off even more. She finally pulls up in her Lexus and he jumps in. The entire time I'm taking down her license plates number in the event I come out and my tires are slashed or something silly like that. Needless to say, nothing like that transpired. I got my hair done, went home and took some medicine and went to bed.
I wake up Friday with a visit from Mother Nature! What a way to end a week...
Saturday, my girl E has a quasi-surprise birthday dinner at this 5 star restaurant named Excelsior...if I'm spelling it right. She knew that some people were coming, but she didn't know that Tiff had got 10 of us together to surprise her. We went to the kind of place where the men have to wear suit jackets to sit in the dining room and everyone is dressed to the 9's. The restaurant even had the nerve to have an elevator in it to take you between floors. I was impressed. It was a wine tasting dinner where they paired a different wine with each meal for each course. For all the courses you had 2 options to pick from all the way down to the dessert. This was a $100 meal. No bullshit. I spent $100 on dinner that came with 3 glasses of wine. It felt good being able to sit at a table of black people that were able to come together and look at all these white people like, "Yeah, we got it like that, too!". The service was exceptional. I'm not sure if I'll be back anytime soon... Let's keep it real. A $100 usually is dinner for 2 with all courses and a few hard drinks. It's something to do every once in awhile as a treat.
After we left there we walked around the corner to Whiskey Park for a few more drinks and to close the night out. Of course, I ended up at Chau Chow City to get me some good Asian food at 3 in the morning...LOL!
So, how was your weekend?
Smooches :)
Baltimore
I had a really good time! I can't even front. We stayed in Glen Burnie, but partied at the Harbor. For those of you that live or have lived in Baltimore we went to The Garden of Eden and this club inside of The Belvedere Hotel. I got to eat some of the Maryland crabcakes that people brag about. They taste like any other crab cakes to me. LOL!
I must admit the Inner Harbor is a really nice area. The architecture of the buildings really impressed me. I met up with my girl Dora down there and we had lunch on Saturday while Dentist was at his seminar. Everyone was so nice. Being from Chicago and now living in Boston I'm not used to that. For example, I asked the waitress to point out the bathroom. Instead she decided to walk me all the way there. For a minute I thought she was going to grab my hand or something. The host was this flaming gay man that acted like he was part owner of the restuarant. Like his life depended on warmly greeting us and walking us to the table. I was very taken aback by the hospitality.
Don't get that experience twisted with what I saw in the hood. My boy took me to this hood joint to get some Lake Trout. Now, I'm from the Southside of Chicago. So, I've seen my share of crack heads, drug dealers and stick-up men. Nothing could have prepared me for this. Every other building was abandoned. I can't quite get with these buildings with 3 steps, a rail on one side and a platform for a porch. I think that's what got me the most. We get out the truck and instinctively I clutch my purse and start sizing *Africans* up. Dentist was laughing at me. Shhhiiitttteeedddd. He could laugh all he wanted to. I know my hood. I know what them *Africans* will or won't do and how they might try it, but this was unchartered territory. This one crackhead was standing by the door sizing me up, too. I could hear his mind thinking, "How can I snatch this bitch purse and get out the door before this Linebacker looking nigga gets a hold of me?" LOL! I guess he didn't figure it out because he stayed put.
Needless to say, it's a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there.
Back to Reality
From the moment I stepped off the plane I was busy. We are bringing a new product to market and I'm heading up all the market research for the market, product, competitors, technology, etc. Call me the resident know-it-all on the subject. So, this week was a week of meetings with me presenting my findings to the VP of Consumer Products, the VP of our entire division of the company, my boss, the Product Manager and I also had a few meeting with the Doctors that are engineering the technology. Not to mention, I'm on a team of people that is trying to change some paradigms in the company. We have developed and are now entering the implementation stage of a company wide program that will change the way my company addresses certain issues. I know I'm being real vague, but hey...this is the internet... Anyway. As with any cross-functional team I'm on I end up being the Marketing/Communication go to person. So, I'm trying to wrap up some loose ends in that area. Then my boss comes to me and tells me that I'll be going to DC October 13th for the weekend to work at a tradeshow for Environmentally friendly products. That wasn't all bad news since that IS the weekend of Howard's Homecoming. I only have to work the booth that Sunday, so that gives me Friday and Saturday to myself to enjoy the festivities.
So, I get up Thursday morning at 5 to be in the office at 6 to make sure I have everything ready for the 3 hour meeting. Yes. 3. Fucking. Hours! I swear Corporate America meets to meet to meet! I woke up that morning with a full blown cold...achy, stuff head, stuffy but running nose. I was tired, I felt tired, I looked tired. After work I went to the hair salon for my bi-weekly appointment. Check this out.
As I'm pulling into the parking spot this guy comes and stands in it. It didn't register what he was doing so, I say, "Excuse me". This *African* had the nerve to tell me that I couldn't have the parking spot because his girl was coming around the block to get it. WTF! So, I continue to pull in. Of course, he stands there daring me to hit him and then turns his back on my car. So, I'm yelling all kind of obscentites and trafffic is starting to line up behind me. It's a one lane street on my side and half my car is in the spot and the other half is blocking traffic. So, I sit there. This white guy in back of me gets out and tells him to move. The ignant azz *African* is glaring at me and weighing his options.
Option 1: We sit there all day and the people in the cars lynch his ass. Ain't nowhere in this world is that right what he was doing unless she was backing into the spot and I swooped on her and took it. In this case. She was coming back around the block on Huntington at Mass Ave...for you Bostonians. Parking spaces are a dime a dozen and I wasn't budging. Hell, I was already late for my hair appointment! Plus, no cars were able to pass me. She would never make it around the block because our standoff had traffic backed up.
Option 2: Move his dumb ass out the way!
He took option 2 while he rolled his eyes at me. I parked my car and called the police in case this got ugly. I was having one of those bad days that made me wish a Nigga would pull it. While I'm talking to the police and he's still waiting on his girl to come around he throws juice on my car. LOL! I laughed, literally and told him thanks my car needed that...You know that pissed him off even more. She finally pulls up in her Lexus and he jumps in. The entire time I'm taking down her license plates number in the event I come out and my tires are slashed or something silly like that. Needless to say, nothing like that transpired. I got my hair done, went home and took some medicine and went to bed.
I wake up Friday with a visit from Mother Nature! What a way to end a week...
Saturday, my girl E has a quasi-surprise birthday dinner at this 5 star restaurant named Excelsior...if I'm spelling it right. She knew that some people were coming, but she didn't know that Tiff had got 10 of us together to surprise her. We went to the kind of place where the men have to wear suit jackets to sit in the dining room and everyone is dressed to the 9's. The restaurant even had the nerve to have an elevator in it to take you between floors. I was impressed. It was a wine tasting dinner where they paired a different wine with each meal for each course. For all the courses you had 2 options to pick from all the way down to the dessert. This was a $100 meal. No bullshit. I spent $100 on dinner that came with 3 glasses of wine. It felt good being able to sit at a table of black people that were able to come together and look at all these white people like, "Yeah, we got it like that, too!". The service was exceptional. I'm not sure if I'll be back anytime soon... Let's keep it real. A $100 usually is dinner for 2 with all courses and a few hard drinks. It's something to do every once in awhile as a treat.
After we left there we walked around the corner to Whiskey Park for a few more drinks and to close the night out. Of course, I ended up at Chau Chow City to get me some good Asian food at 3 in the morning...LOL!
So, how was your weekend?
Smooches :)

8 Comments:
and i quote, "but I do need to budget more and stick to it."
see, i knew he'd take you to do the hood. you made it back alive.
"Needless to say, it's a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there." That basically sums up my feelings about Baltimore too. 5 years at Morgan was more than enough for me. Hope I have as much fun as you did when I go back next month.
Have fun in DC.
Told you the hood in Baltimore was hmmm....extra.
He threw juice at your car? LOL
How are you gonna stand in a parking space in the city? That is too funny.
Pops: This was a splurge. A pat on the back. Like I said, it won't happen that often...maybe once a quarter or something.
Yeah, he took me, but his ass is still bougie!
Organized: I hope you do, too. Please belive I plan on having a good time in DC. I've already made phone calls and rounded up the troops.
BTW: I emailed you to apologize for not making it to NYC! I'm sure you deleted it without opening it thinking, "Who is this Asian person emailing me?" LOL!
1969: He better be lucky I wasn't some chick with nothing to live for...or should I be glad he wasn't some African with nothing to live for because we both were in a mood to act a fool...LOL!
Baltimore aint nothing to fawk with girlie.....even i dont walk no where when im there. SO U gonna be in DC when imma be in DC? U dont say? hmmmm
This was a cool ass weekend. I gotta get out more and see the more colorful side of life.
KZ
My hubby is from D.C. and took me to the Inner Harbor when we visited his family in Maryland a few summers ago. I just LOVE the metro area and the Baltimore Harbor was nice. I told him next time I want to go on one of those boat cruises.
(and he took me to some ghetto high rises down on Georgia Ave in D.C. and I was like "DAYUM" lol)
Park Heights reps tight! LOL I've been to the hood in B-more. It's real in the battlefield.
Glad to see you're doing well, though. Congrats on the new responsibilities with work. And that dinner sounds great!
Post a Comment
<< Home